Passengers To Avail Quicker Check-In At Their Respective Airports
On the celebration of the 75th Independence Day, the beta version of the DigiYatra App has successfully been rolled out on the Android platform that will allow passengers to avail quicker check-in at their respective airports. At airports all around the nation, Digi Yatra is being implemented gradually by the Ministry of Civil Aviation. Varanasi and Bangalore will implement it in August 2022, and by March 2023, it will be operational in Kolkata, Pune, Vijayawada, Delhi, and Hyderabad.
As part of the Digi Yatra project, travellers will pass through several checkpoints at the airport using paperless and contactless processing, proving their identification by using facial features, and connecting it to their boarding card. With this technology, all checkpoints—including airport entry, security checkpoints, aircraft boarding, etc.—would automatically process passenger entries based on facial recognition technology. It provides a decentralised, affordable, mobile wallet-based identity management platform that, while incorporating Digi Yatra, addresses privacy and data protection concerns. On April 18, 2022, the DGCA issued an AIC (Aeronautical Information Circular) following the approval of the revised Digi Yatra rules.
To use this feature, passengers must first download the DigiYatra app. While the Android version of the app is already available, the iOS version is scheduled to be released in the coming weeks. A selfie with the Aadhaar card and Aadhaar login credentials is required for users to register on the app. Following that, CoWIN credentials must be used to update the app with new vaccination information. After the passenger scans their boarding pass with a QR code or barcode, the credentials are then sent to the airport. For entry into the airport, passengers will need to scan their boarding passes at the e-gate and investigate the facial recognition system camera installed there. It will be the same process to enter other checkpoints.
The Digi Yatra Foundation (DYF) was created as a joint venture (JV) firm in 2019 in accordance with Section 8 of the Companies Act of 2013. Its owners include AAI (who owns 26% of the shares), BIAL, DIAL, GHIAL, MIAL, and CIAL. These 5 stockholders each own one-half of the remaining 74% of the shares. The Foundation was founded with the goal of developing the Digi Yatra Central Ecosystem (DYCE). The pan-Indian Digi Yatra Foundation will be in charge of overseeing the Passenger ID certification process. It would also promote consensus among Indian aviation industry stakeholders. The policies and procedures for compliance with the regional airport systems would also be described. The JV will routinely review the various biometric boarding system compliances and regulations, including those pertaining to security, image quality, and data protection (BBS). It is planned to launch Digi Yatra in two airports, Bengaluru, and Varanasi, in August 2022, and in five airports, Pune, Vijayawada, Kolkata, Delhi, and Hyderabad, by March of the following year. AAI will decide which airports would receive a phased implementation of Digi Yatra.
An important government-led project called DigiYatra uses single token face biometrics to verify passengers and facilitates contactless processing for travellers at airports. Airports Authority of India (AAI) has awarded the work for implementing the Biometric Boarding System at the airports in Kolkata, Pune, Vijayawada, and Varanasi. The project is currently in the implementation stage. The Digi Yatra Biometric boarding system has undergone preliminary testing at these airports, including registration for the "Day of Travel." The Digi Yatra policy, which was introduced in August 2018, offers comprehensive instructions for implementing Digi Yatra at Indian airports. AirAsia and Vistara, two airlines supported by the Tata Group, are currently linked with DigiYatra. Passengers don't have to worry about revealing their data because it is secure and will be removed 24 hours after their trip according to DigiYatra's commitment to privacy. It is a positive development in the rapidly developing digital age.
Write a public review